Thursday, July 20, 2006

First gym sessions in two days

No juniors today, they have all gone to Korea for the Asian Championships.
Apparently there are two categories in the Juniors, which I have never even heard off.
The first batch that left already are competing in the Junior Men/Women category, competitors must be under age of 20; while the second batch leaving in 3 days time is competing in the Boys/Girls category, where you must be below 16 years of age.
And no, there are no competition for those under 12 years old. (Sorry but something to do with growing up first).

Another point of interest, 3 Sir Lankan (or is that Ceylonese) weightlifters in town for two days with their manager (Yes they will be coming back tomorrow). One of them looks like a distant cousin of their favorite spin bowler, Mulitharanan (did I get the spelling right? whatever)

Started out with the clean and jerk.
20kgs barbell: 4 sets of 4 reps each.
Then I added another 10kgs and did about 2 sets of 3 reps each before my coach advise me to slow down to 2 reps. I did another 3 sets and we upgraded the whole load to 40kgs.
I did another 5 sets (1 rep) before adding another 10kgs to make it 50kgs.
Another 5 sets (1 rep), no problems.
For the last 3 sets, we just added another 5 kgs just to see if I can break my personal best.
And I did!

Okay then we did the pull, about 3 reps per set with 3 lights ones at the end following the last pull.
We maintained the 55kgs barbell earlier from the Clean & Jerk and I did 2 sets before we upgraded it to 65 kgs for another 2 sets.
Last 2 sets were done on a 70kgs barbell.

After questioning my fatigue, coach moved me straight unto back squat.
So I tested out 50kgs and did 1 set of 8 reps while coach wasn't looking. He came back and told me to cut it on my 5th reps (and I confessed I did 8 reps on the last set)
So he upped the weights to 60kgs.
I managed 3 sets of 3 reps each and the coach immediately added another 10kgs to the barbell (actually he ordered, I added).
So I did another 3 sets of 2 reps each (broke my personal best as well) before coach tried out 75kgs for one last rep.
I went down but the way uuuuuupppppp was a real sssssttttrrrruuuuuggggggggglllllleeeeeee (and that is even with coach helping lighten the barbell off my shoulders). Somehow the weight managed to tip to the left.

So end of gym. Can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store.

No comments: