Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Screw the May Tournament

I am going for the Singapore Scrabble Open.
(Ooops, I forgot that Nigel is heading that way too).

Will be officiating the Selangor/KL prelims this weekend.
Assuming I won't get lost looking for SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 2
(apparrently there are 4 of them)

(projected scenario)
Me: Hello, is this SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 2?
Guard: No, this is SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 1. SMK BUD 2 over there (points off into yonder)
Me: (drives off)

(30 minutes later)
Me: Hello, is this SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 2?
Guard: No, this is SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 4. (offers directions)
Me: Thanks. (drives off)

(30 minutes later)
Me: This looks familiar....hello, is this SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 2?
Guard: No, this is SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 1.
Me: WHAT!!! (drives off)

(1 hour later)
Me: Hello, is this SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 2?
Guard: No, this is SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 3. SMK BUD 2 is on the other side of the highway.
Me: (drives off)

(2 hours later)
Song Kim Lian: Hello, is this Henry? Where are you?
Me: In 1 Utama, relaxing at Starbucks
Song Kim Lian: WHAT!!! YOU are suppose to be here officiating this Scrabble tournament...(imagine the rest of the conversation, dear readers)
Me: I got lost for the past 4 hours.
Song Kim Lian: (gives directions). Now, make sure you be there.
Me: Yes (saunters off to my car)

(2 hours later)
Hello, is this SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 2?
Guard: Yes, this is SMK Bandar Utama Damansara 3.
Me: Yes! (drives in)
(walks into empty hall)
Me: huh! where is everyone?
Guard: They all finished la 30 minutes ago.
Me: AARRGHH!!!

4 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

Omigosh, that was like my worst nightmare when I used to be debating at uni level -- to walk into an empty room, late or got wrong time slot or wrong venue. Did this really happen to you? If yes, you have my sympathies, man... :(

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

dude got no map book ar? remind me to get u one.

well, that was quite funny.

said...

Nigel? I'll handle him..

Ricky Purnomo said...

somehow I thought I'd read something like that from Hubert when I saw you mention Nigel ...