Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Myspace, Friendster: I just don't get it.

I have joined Friendster back in late 2005 and Myspace lately, other than slightly different mechanism for networking, I find both sites seriously bewildering.

It seems like the goal (for a lot of people) is not so much as making friends, keeping in contact, networking, etc, but stamp collecting. I have read up the profile of a guy called tom who has something like 300k friends, it really makes me wonder, either he is really really good at making and keeping friends, or most of those 300k friends are mere acquaintances to which he fires off bulletins.

I really don't see the point of stamp collecting acquaintances, I really do want to make friends, to have deeper and more meaningful friendship (and relationship), but is stamp collecting the way to go?
Is this really the culture on myspace? request/add first, ask questions later?

Of the 10 or so people (on myspace) who has request to be added as a friend, none of them have replied to my messages so far.
At least the ones I get on Friendster are my regular friends who know that it is easier to keep touch with me on my blog then on these "stamp collecting" sites.

5 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

I'm so with you on this one, brother. I refuse to join MySpace and I only caved in and joined Friendster after receiving the umpteenth email from a friend asking me to add them. Ini semua syiok sendiri aje...

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

isnt such a feel good thing? haha but bluff urself for wat..so wat if u hav 400 frens but an actual loner..?

Kim said...

haiyoooo....... Tom is the founder of myspace. that's why he has 300k friends. cos whoever gets an account with myspace is added directly to his friend's list. sorry. i simply had to correct you on that.

although i completely agree with what u said about friendster and myspace being a bit about stamp collecting for some. there are still those out there who aren't such losers that they feel like that have to compete with others to see how many people we have to get on our friend's list.

have faith.

-girl from the jazz fest-

gRaCe said...

I don't have a myspace account, or do i? i can't remember..but friendster is a really good site for people(me at least) too keep in touch with friends that i have not met or contacted in ages! with friendster, at least i noe what they've been up to and where they are at the moment..;o)

SharkLynx said...

Friendster rules, man...but some people just spoil it, "racing" and "competing" to fill their accounts with tonnes of "friends"...i think it's very silly, particularly the guys who add "friends" with sexy photos. hehehe...how'r u lately la? long time no see...