Sunday, October 09, 2005

Someone said YES to humiliating me

Righto, have to deliver as promised.

Game 1: Lim Sha Lyn
CONGEST was my first rack when she opened the game, followed by sELENIC four timer. Consistent scoring negated the effect of her bingo, DeSIRES. She played the endgame perfectly but I win 477-292

Game 2: Goh Jiang Pern
He opens with SODAInE and I get that sinking feeling in my guts. Kept up a brisk pace of scoring until I get ALERIONS thru the E, missing the superior four-timing TONSILAR (that JP saw and told me after I pressed my clock). After playing APEX for 51, immediately lucked out with SCRAgGY/JILLS for 86 plus a nicklel. He opened bingo lines and I dump THE and get to play DUETTINO from the D to the triple. 489-367

Game 3: Tan Jin Chor
I open with LENDiNG, and we ended up playing cat & mouse. he kept on opening bingos lines, I was closing them down. Then he hit me with PINIEsT, hooking FITCHE. I challenge FITCHE giving him a nickel and we reverse roles. I eyed the ON on the boards and eventually fished out DELETIONS/JURATS to equalize our scores. Promptly empty the bag and have AEEEOUR sitting on my rack, he has FOZIERS. Needless to say, painful loss due to endgame. 393-434

Game 4: Cheah Siu Hean
We trade bingos in midgame, he gets INSANER, which I overlap with TOnEMES. Suboptimal moves let me get HOLLER (42 points) & TRIAGED (79 points). Need a bingo to win, can't fish it out. Didn't want to get Q stick late in the game so I passed and went out in two after he plays QuA. 310-417

Game 5: John Lam
I could do no wrong in the first 6 moves of this game. Played SAILERS from my opening rack. HIVED overlaps SAX for 38 points, he gives me an N in the triple lane for QUEYN. Follow up is BALCONET through the E for face value and I get 48 points for JOTA, leaving the J open in the triple lane. Take it afterwards with JOINS for a cheap 36 points. Intermediate scoring towards the end and he cut spread with OUTDREaM thru the D. I get to play AZIDE for 78 (emptying the last three tiles in the bag) which he replies with an outbingo, LEAFIeST. In hindsight, should have played off BG, leaving one in the bag and playing AZIDE one turn later. Cut spread so I win 482-388.

Game 6: Dianne Ward
(Had I won the last game by a bigger spread, I would have had to play Ganesh who got Ricky instead, much to Ricky's frustration). Neck and neck until I played back to back bingos, ENGAGEs & SHAMbLES. She overlaps OOGONIA below it and I missed the phoney hook bN* (which I will never hear the end of from Ricky and the others). Another late bingo of POSTERED finished her off. 464-322

Game 7: Ganesh Asirvatham
Long overdue game, he open TYG allowing me to clear my rack with ANTEDATE. He gets ANTBEARS, SOULDAn, aNURETIC and everything else in betwee. Was lucky to have HOTELIER at the end to cut spread. 380-489

Game 8: Shim Yen Nee.
She has officially replace everyone else as my jinx. She double blanks cZArINA early on and I was force to play catch up. She let my phoney ENARCHES go because she thaought she could overlap JOISTED in neatly. she was wrong. Then I fail to see a potential outbingo and she played ODDITIES the very last turn. 351-436

Game 9: Seshi Ramanathan
Low scoring game that I was lucky to win, thanks for aTONIES & BOXING. The only highlight of the game was her AGaZE for 72, which won the spot prize for that round. 347-314

Game 10: Kong Chock Heng
LOiTERED, NOTABLES, PAsSAGE and MAXIM for 48 points to nothing? Enough said though I did go overtime trying to maximize my outplay when there was nothing scoring higher than 4 points. 486-291

Game 11: Aaron Chong
Was lucky that Aaron didn't put himself in the running this year for the WSC selection. If I had chosen AYRE or even EYRA over YARD on my second move, he wouldn't have been able to play RETINUE, he also get INSETTED. My FLICkERS does nothing to stem the loss and he goes out with SALiNATE. 303-460

Game 12: Jocelyn Lor
I play VIOLATER, she gets down BANKERS. I then get CHiNESE and score heavily with FEIJOA, QI, ZOA. Then I make a stupid move hooking sTRUM to AINES* and she gets to go out before me. 417-348.

Game 13: Hubert Wee
He opens with ADORERs and gets down NATURES before my IODINES hit the board (I chickened out of RESINOID) but get to use the S dangling in the triple lane for JOIST for 60 (not before he hits me with RITZ for 69). 90 points down. I get down STRODLE and try to open up for a third bingo. He scores enough in the endgame to outrun my AsSIEGED to win by 10 points. Ganesh plays the devil's advocate with what ifs in he postgame discussions. 437-447

Game 14: Chuah Sim Swee
Two bingos each. I have ALIENER & STINKPOT, she gets REHOUSE & RECOVERS. Two exchanges by her and three phonies are what I need to increase the spread. Ganesh told me I missed UPDATeS towards the end. 486-355

Game 15: John Lam rematch
He blocks my MAZIEST (that could score 119 points). Will settle for AZYMITES for face value. he then plays ESOTeRIC & dESPAIRED to mow me down while I deal with lousy tiles. 294-402

Game 16: Shim Yen Nee rematch
She blocks ENTIrELY and I play INErTLY in the suboptimal spot. She races ahead with GORIEST. I eventually get to play MOLINES on a tight board to go 34 up. Out of the nine tiles in the bag, I draw DHKRRSV (leaving AE in the bag!!! WHY!? WHY ME!? why do I have to draw the stinking combination that would lose!?). Unseen to me were AAEIOMRT?. Needless to say, she went out before me and I lose on countback by a mere 2 points. 387-389

SOB! Enought humiliation, Yen Nee?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey if you didn't want to recount the games you played in Penang Open, then you shouldn't offer us a chance to say so :p

Anyway, you are one of my favourite scrabble players to spar with *grin*

Besides, I only have a hold over you in Malaysia. I'm more scared of you in Singapore =)