Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Mum's car broke down......

happened on Monday (around 4.30 pm), I was humming along at work until my office phone squealed in its little cubicle and mum was at the other end huffing and puffing her message down my eardrum.

"Boy....car on fire, i am getting daddy out of the car after this phone call. You come now in your Kelissa to pick both of us and you wait here for the AAM towtruck, I calling them after this phone call. You come ah! remember to come ah!......We are at the (incomprehensible Teochew gibberish).....What! you don't know where?!....We are under Parliament! Guo Hui! Right go to Jalan Kuching, Left go the Kenny Hill.....Remember ah! Jalan Parliament." *Toot*

And so begins the crawl to reach my parents (I was expecting at least a fire brigade to hose down a burning car but that would be bad karma). Arrived to see no smoke, dad outside the car about 5 meters away, mum gesturing at some good samaritan (or wandering mechanic). If the car got burnt, at least I wouldn't have to transfer all her luggage into my undersize Kelissa (which leaves only room for 2 passengers, guess who got left out).

So, she swapped this and that and whoopeedo, I am left out in the middle of the inner ring road with her handphone, the AAM contact number. so for the next 30 minutes, I am there doing nothing except car-watching and gathering empirical data for an ad-hoc survey of 'how many car slow down just to see your car stuck on the side of the road' (data could not be utilised as results may have been compounded by rush hour traffic jam); while waiting for a tow truck. And what comes up the road? The AAM friendly Mechanic, Shukri, on his motorbike.

Spend another 30 minutes on the phone trying to get the AAM membership number for Shukri to dispatch a towtruck.....and 10 minutes later it arrives and I get to overserve/participate/push/heave/just move, you heap of %^&*#)(#$!)^%$# junk/car nehind the tow truck for tow operations.

Another 40 minutes in a suspension-less tow truck on the way back to Selayang via Jalan Kuching and I can tell you I sat through purgatory......(After 2 days of ferrying around my parents between morning, lunch hours and evening session, I requalify the earlier torture as off-road torture on city highway. Having parents in your car is really Hell!!!!)

Praying that the car get fixed soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yeah, haha. In fairness, that is all bothersome indeed. Hope you don't get stuck in these binds again, and that you get proper service to ensure that your car parts are in order.

Yvonne @ Georgetown Exxon