Sunday, September 11, 2005

I am still in denial

I have made it. YES! YES! YES!

Tony made it, Cheah made it, JP made it, Andy did it in 2003, Ganesh made it, Nigel made it. And I have made it (just have to show up at WSC to join the club). Sorry, Ricky and Hubert, hope to see you guys do it in 2007.

Now that the euphoria is over, have to start hitting the books ASAP (and search for sponsorship).

I will admit that I was pessimistic about my chances post LWMST when I dropped below 1600 while Pui and Michael both maintained their 1700 ratings. Then everything just fell into my lap.

At ECH, I was too busy trying to stay ahead of them to see how they crash and burn because I wanted to stay three wins ahead of them. Even in the last round at ECH, I was sweating because I just lost four in a row and the three of us were playing at tables adjacent to each other (I was only one win ahead). Somehow, they lost their games while I won mine. Good news: I climbed back up to pre-LWMST rating while Michael dropped below me. Bad news: Pui is still 11 points above me despite dropping. So Nationals would either be hell or godsend for me, I didn't know at that point.

So I started hitting the books really hard. So when Nationals rolled in, everyone (including Michael) started to psycho me and play mind games when I really couldn't be bothered. I was just playing like mad, stealing some games from Jerry and Yeap. Somehow managed to stay on par with Ganesh, two wins above Pui, Cheah and Co. (In spite of a very incapable TD in the Masters divisions and handling the pairing and data entry for all four divisions, roughly 30 matches per round to input)

So on day 2, we started the KOTH early (the TD decided at the last minute to increase it from four to six. I, of course, grumbled about the possibility of having to face Ganesh for six rounds instead of four and that Pui might just overtake me at the last hurdle. Why is everyone conspiring against me?)

So, Play Ganesh. Lose, 1 wins ahead of Pui & Cheah.
Play Ganesh again. Win, 1 win ahead of Cheah who just beat Pui (Go Cheah, keep Pui off my back)
Play Ganesh again, Win (what!!!) 1 win ahead of Ganesh & Cheah and 3 ahead of Pui. (Go Cheah)

At this point, everyone started congratulating me on making the WSC but I was still unsure since I have the necessary buffer with 3 games to go but I am not counting my chickens yet until they hatch. Now that I was in the lead, I did change my goal from making WSC spot to something more amibitious (Cheah was giving me a pep talk all the while about it). I will admit that the ploy finally worked and I did shut off my brains at that point, so.....

Play Ganesh again (4th consecutive time, I am such a pig trying to hoard Ganesh for myself). Lose, somehow Cheah (playing on the table behind me heard it and) proceed to lose his game by 5 points to Jocelyn Lor. I wonder if Cheah chickened out of wanting to face Ganesh so early. Therefore.....Ganesh for the 5th consecutive time. Lose, but then Cheah did his job by beating Pui and keeping him down at 9 wins. So I can still finish ahead of him, which is good.

Then the last round fiasco, the stupid TD couldn't figure out in his thick skull that someone can still lose a game and play at a high table in the KOTH round (because the others people who woin couldn't overtake the said person, Jocelyn Lor) He insisted I paired the thing wrongly and halted the round for a full 5 minutes while we were all in play. I went with him and Jolceyn Lor to the computer and Lo and Behold! The data was correct and everything was paired correctly. This ruckus disrupted my concentration and lower my opinion of the TD even more (some would say, into the Nether Zone). At least Pui was diplomatic enough to say that the TD should make a public apology, I replied with heavy sarcasms as I was in a foul mood after the shouting match.

Anyway, I got back into the zone and romp home over Jocelyn (admittedly, my mood was so foul, I probably irritated her with me mind game + irritating habits that she complains about. Must do away with them before WSC. Sorry Jocelyn!!!)

After finishing the game, proceed to deal with problem of rating, since we do need to know who is going to WSC since Pui also won his last game. Stupid program found glitch with student division. So ignore student division first and test rated the Masters and the Open division and verify no problem. Announce that I made it in very hush tones. Everyone starts shaking my hand like it has the Midas Touch (I am still in denial). Proceed to work on student rating (which I botch up pretty badly according to Andy. Will let him figure it out and tell me what to do) and in the meantime, collect prize, and (don't know how to) pose for photo session and meet the public because I am a backstage person.

Well, at least I get a free dinner out of Cheah afterwards when it should be the other way around according to the SA tradition. Will treat him in Penang Open.

That's the end of it. Not very helpful since I didn't post all my games as promised because I need to study for Penang, Singapore and WSC. Will post some games, any game when I feel like it.

No comments: