Friday, October 17, 2008

Secrets in my Kaiseki menu

Or more likely, I will not publish pictures of dishes that will appear at the MIGF menu so that you will have to attend the MIGF menu to taste the dish first hand.

Starters: Persimmon & Mushroom with Tofu sauce and Boiled Chrysantheneum leaves with Bonito Sauce
Love the white creamy tofu sauce, the mix of persimmon and mushroom and the underlying sweetness that washes over your tongue. The leaves were much crunchier this time compared to previous tastings.
























Sashimi: Hokkaido Oyster, Yellowtail, Toro, Squid raw and flambe, Silk Snapper
Sorry!!! I ate the Oyster before snapping it, well, it was as big as the shell and juicy as well.

The other pieces of note was probably the silk snapper fished from the cold seas around japan. We also have such fishes in Malaysia (red with faint yellow stripes) but this one was particularly fatty and the sushi chef had to score the meat as well to make it chewable.




















Soup: Clear Soup
Chef Ricky only noticed that I haven't gotten my soup while I was having my sashimi and got it out in a huff.
Being a dodo that I am, didn't even notice the teacup/cover that is used to pour the broth in until after I had sampled the mushrooms, prawn, white fish meat. Still, it is reminiscent of the 2007 Chynna MIGF menu soup, love the concept.






















Steamed dishes: Steamed Matsuba crab, Sea Urchin, Turnip & Tonburi seed
An MIGF menu item, but a prototype served without the salt.
The presentation of the dumpling is elegant while the taste is layered and can be combined at your whim and fancy. I will say that I ended up slurping from the bowl.



Grilled dishes: Silk Snapper with Salt, Yam crackers, Sea Bream mini sushi, Soy Tofu, Chestnut, Gingko nuts, Oysters.
The grilled fish taste richer than the sashimi, love the smooth tofu and crispy yam crackers (Maybe Chef Ricky should start a company selling these). The mini sushi were coated with korean miso sauce that was spicy and fooled me (I thought it was szechuan dou ban jiang). The oysters though shrunked in size triple in taste. I had an excellent time sampling this dish.






















Fry: Cod Fish Milt Cawanmushi with ponzu sauce.
I want more cod fish milt!!!!!
Otherwise, everything was hot to the tongue and I was scalding it with every spoonful; hot but delicious.




Main: Chirashi Sushi
Read: I am a glutton for more food. Just another case of brinkmanship (my sushi is bigger than your sushi)




































Dessert: Red Bean Jelly 
with Chestnut & Assorted Fruits
Another item on the MIGF menu. I love this and am so looking forward to having it again next week!!!!


Definitely one of my better nights at Iketeru. Feel free to comment

2 comments:

ling239 said...

Chirashi Sushi!!!
any rice underneath ? :p

Henry Yeo said...

plenty of it.
come to iketeru if you want more of it.